Friday, February 5, 2021

Defying the Night

My feet are sore. 
My breath ebbs away. 
I sit on the bed of depression;
My strength failing, my joy gone. 
I tell my soul: ‘You have my permission to let sorrow into your hitherto guarded space.’
No more restraints. 
To hell with drawing strength from the inner voice - 
God’s still small voice that used to urge me on, 
Saying, ‘Wait a little longer, dream some more, don’t give up the fight...till you win.’

Look, I am losing my mind. 
And who will blame me for ending it here?
Life’s been so unfair. 
More tears, less smiles. 
The cock has refused to crow; 
My dawn is locked up in the night, 
Never to herald the day. 

I crawl out of the bed to stare into the darkness. 
The pitch darkness of the night is a metaphor for my soul. 
But, wait, what’s this I am seeing? 
The stars in the sky, shining brighter than I ever saw. 
Not even the darkness could dim their light. 
The stars defy the darkness; 
Riding on the crest of the night to shine.

Look, what’s happening to me? 
Is my mind betraying me? 
Who are you to compare me with a star that defies the night? 
How dare you ask me to start running again! 
And what’s this smile, this new hope, this new strength?
Could it be true I am a star that defies the night? 

I return to bed, beaming with hope. 
I no longer fear the night; I fear me. 
I hold the ace. 
I define the night, and can defy it. 
It is my call. 
The night has all along been waiting for my command. 
Rising from the bed, I say defiantly to the darkness, ‘I am a star!’
‘The darker you are, the brighter I shine. So, bring it on!’

No comments:

Post a Comment